Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving at the River

Baking at home on Wednesday. I made these. Addictive.


I am fascinated by molasses. Like an inky lake in a measuring cup. 

One thing I've learned at BSF is that my priorities in my daily life should match my heart. Spending time in the word daily.

Not totally perfect-looking, but delicious.

Green bean ice bath in preparation for making a from scratch version of green bean casserole. A whole lot of work (I even had to fry my own shallots to make the onion topping), not sure if I would make this recipe again.
We arrived at the river house late on Wednesday night. William had fallen asleep in the car, but he woke up as soon as he heard his grandparents. He had a late night snack and story before bedtime.
 Thanksgiving sunrise!
 Peeling potatoes.
 All of the males passed out on the couch before lunch was served! Don, Sr. woke up at 2 a.m. to smoke a turkey and a ham...I'm not sure if my Don has an excuse. :)
 Lots of nature everywhere.
 Napping before lunch.
 This guy knows how to smoke a turkey.
This was hands down the most amazing turkey I've ever eaten in my entire life. Smoked in a double smoker for hours with a ham smoking above it, dripping onto the turkey to baste it, and a pan of water in the bottom of the smoker to add moisture. Everyone kept talking about how delicious the turkey was.
 There is no internet at the river house, so this is a common sight.

 I was so happy that Adri and her sweet boy Lucas joined us. Adri and I met in social work grad school and became BFFs immediately. We used to skip work and get pedicures and bubble tea when we were grad assistants together (mature, I know).
Sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment