Thursday, May 12, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

I have been experimenting with cookie and muffin recipes that use whole wheat flour. A friend who is a professional baker (hi, Sara!) recommended the King Arthur flour recipe for whole wheat apple muffins last year, and while trying to find the recipe online, I found this variation by Smitten Kitchen. Let me just say that I can't believe I've been missing out for this long.


I only strayed from the recipe a little, using 1 cup of fresh homemade applesauce instead of the apple chunks and 1 cup of fat-free greek yogurt in place of buttermilk or full-fat yogurt. I also used only 1 teaspoon of cinnamon since I use a decent bit of cinnamon in my homemade applesauce. I also didn't use nearly the same amount of brown sugar on top of the muffins. The recipe calls for sprinkling 1/4 cup of brown sugar over them just before baking, but I found that a tablespoon or so was plenty. For a crispier and more sugary top, go all out. But if you plan on serving these to your 11 month old son as a treat, it will make you feel less worried about sugar rushes to decrease the amount.

William has started pointing to what we're eating, like, "Let me have a taste of that already, will ya?" Despite being super cute, it's also super annoying because it means I have to explain why I am drinking a diet coke despite knowing that it is worse for me than drinking a regular coke. It just doesn't make sense to tell him, "No, no. Mommy can drink chemicals but chemicals are not for babies." (I miss you, diet coke. Call me. Please?) I digress. While I was testing one of these muffins straight from the oven, he crawled to my feet, used the legs of my jeans to pull himself to a standing position, and started pointing at the hot muffin and smacking his little pink lips. A part of my heart melted immediately, and I knelt down and gave him a bit of the muffin.


He simultaneously devoured it and managed to break it into tiny crumbs. Tearing any bite of food into no less than 20 small pieces is a skill he has perfected. As soon as the muffin crumbs disappeared, he began flailing his arms over his head and pointing with one tiny finger to the muffin tin cooling on the counter.


Even a small boy can't resist the allure of hot bread from the oven. I stuck him in a high chair with the rest of the muffin, and he was in heaven, curled toes and all.

You should definitely make these muffins. They are so worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment