Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Delicious Green Smoothie

I have a thing for smoothies. The smoothie recipe I make most often for my family is here in this old post, but I have a new favorite. So does William.



spinach and banana smoothie
Meet Carey. Meet Carey's recipe for a delicious toddler and pregnant mama approved smoothie. Did I mention Carey is a chef? She knows her stuff.
 William thinks there is ice cream in this smoothie. He is mistaken. He had just woken up from his nap and was thrilled that there was a smoothie waiting for him.
 Straws are hard.
 But worth the effort.

I love this smoothie because it isn't thick and so it feels lighter, more like a snack instead of a meal. I mistakenly read Carey's recipe as containing coconut milk instead of almond milk, and so I have been making it with the coconut milk and coconut water (and no almond milk) and it still tastes delicious. The coconut milk is naturally sweet so I don't need to add the honey.
Here's a little tip: I slice fresh bananas and flash freeze them for 30 minutes on a baking sheet. Then I snap the frozen banana slices off the baking sheet and keep them in a ziploc bag in the freezer until I need them. You can also stick a whole banana in the freezer but peeling frozen bananas kills my fingers.

Thanks for sharing this great recipe, Carey! It's a new staple in our house.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome my Friend! I miss you but don't expect to be in town long enough to do anything other than cleaning and laundry this summer! I hope we can visit before the baby comes! Lilia sure does miss you and William!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweet friend! I miss you! Let's try to hang out as soon as you're in town! You know, the laundry can really wait. :)

      Delete