Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Color Your Heart Out

Whew! Things have been busy around here, mostly due to this guy.

I mean, he has to eat at least four times a day, and this was just breakfast.
In between the crazy schedules and running around and general life happening, I've snuck in a few little crafts. I've wanted to make these forever, so when my sweet mother-in-law presented William with my husband's box of crayons and little boy treasures from when we was a child, I had the perfect excuse.
 These crayons are too skinny for William to grasp hard enough to color, so I peeled them, snapped them into smaller pieces, and sorted them by color into a silicone heart tray that I bought from the Target dollar bins. (Does anyone else notice that the prices in the dollar bin are sneaking up? I think this tray was actually $2.50. Boo, Target.)



 I love these new crayons! They're big enough for little hands to grasp and scribble their hearts out. The color is pretty, too, once it's on paper. I planned on making a bunch and giving them away as Valentine's with the play-dough I made a few weeks ago, but that would require way too much crayon peeling. These are a Valentine's treat for William from his mama.
Some of the crayons separated into layers, though I don't know why.

If you happen to not mind peeling a ton of crayons, or you have older kids who want to help, I think these would be adorable tied up in a cellophane bag with a little journal and some Hershey's kisses. Is it weird that I'm looking forward to helping William make Valentines once he's in school?

No comments:

Post a Comment