Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Last night I watched the Memorial Day events televised from DC, and I couldn't stop crying. Did you see the reading Selma Blair did? She was telling the story of a young wife and mother whose husband was killed in the war three years ago. Her children were 3 years old and 6 months old.
They showed pictures of their father, the soldier, with his little ones. It hurt my heart so badly to think of that little boy growing up not personally knowing his father.
And he died for our freedom. For yours and mine. For our kids. So that we can walk in relative safety, unable to comprehend a world where bombs go off in cafes on a regular basis and voting results are intentionally miscounted.
 I am so grateful to all military personnel and soldiers, everyone who gives of their time and skill and lives so that I am free.
 And these guys are free.
 They have worries, but not worries about safety.
 We took this weekend to enjoy the small things we might normally take for granted. Playing on an unmade bed for most of Saturday morning. Shoulder rides and Amy's ice cream and playing at the splash pad (I technically didn't break any rules because I sat and watched the splash pad activity without walking, and I am allowed one seated outing weekly).
We didn't do a big barbecue because of the whole bed rest thing, but I sat at the kitchen counter and made parmesan zucchini crisps. I cannot wait to get back on my feet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment