Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wisdom from Other Women: Know How to Laugh

I am blown away by the strength of the women around me. There are lots of groups of women that I belong to: my all-female BSF class, my group of best friends from college, the women in my family, my mom's group, my "wine night" group.  Many times I have stood amazed at the wisdom of the women in my life.

Beautiful women. Tough as nails women. Women who can comfort and set you straight in the same breath. 

In the spirit of encouraging other women, I'm going to share the lessons and wisdom from the women in my life who have taught me important things. 

First up, my mother.

My little sister Melanie, my mom, and me last weekend in Dripping Springs.
For as long as I can remember, she has encouraged me to laugh. My mom is funny, y'all. She has been on postcards from yo mama at least three times and she gets the highest number of comments. She makes other people laugh. When we were girls and still living at home, my sisters and I would lay on my mom's bed at night as she cracked us up with stories from her college and young single days. Her humor can be irreverent, which I love. She doesn't make puns; she is laugh-until-you-cry-and-almost-tinkle-in-your-pants funny. She will probably be irritated that I wrote tinkle. 

Laughing is rejuvenating and life-giving. I mean it. If I've had a hard day, or a hard six months for that matter, I find so much comfort in being able to let go of everything and laugh until my face hurts. 

Lesson Number One: Laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment