Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Doily Motherlode

My mother-in-law hit the motherlode, on my behalf. Several years ago when Country Living published an article on ways to use vintage doilies, I was smitten with a table runner made by stitching mismatched doilies together. Since then, I've been on the hunt for a massive amount of old and cheap doilies. My MIL found a box of over 40 doilies and vintage napkins and linens for $7 at a garage sale this morning. She knows how to haggle, and I am so glad she did it for me! (Thanks, Billye!)


As I sorted the doilies and began to arrange them in a pattern I liked for a table runner, I noticed how intricate some of them are. Some are handmade, true works of art, and others were probably purchased from Marshall's in the '80s. 
5 points if you can find William in this picture.
Looking at the arrangement of these doilies down the center of our dining table inspired me. So scratch the idea of making a table runner. I'm putting these guys to better use. I'll post the pics as soon as it's finished, but I can't get started until tomorrow, since I'll need to borrow my father-in-law's truck to complete this doily project. No, seriously.

1 comment: