Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recipe Sharing: Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Cream Sauce

Let me just begin by saying that I do not consider myself an expert in anything. Well, unless you're talking about the merits of cheese, in which case I am definitely your girl. I have been known to eat hard cheese dipped into soft cheese because we were out of baguette, but I digress.

I am no chef. I'm not even an adventurous home cook. I have never cooked clams. I cried the first time I had to handle a whole turkey. I could practically hear its "gobble, gobble" calling me from the cold tomb of my refrigerator, and then I scrubbed my hands like Lady Macbeth, but instead of blood I was washing away the salmonella. Hungry yet?

So, even though I am not a chef or an expert in cooking, my recipe for these enchiladas is awesome. I'm just saying. 

I have served this recipe to estranged relatives and they stayed for HOURS talking and we scraped the casserole dish clean. That's a true story.

Ingredients:
1 pound of chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 jar (16 oz.) of H-E-B brand green tomatillo salsa (found in the Mexican cooking aisle)
8 ounces of queso fresco 
about 10 corn tortillas, preferably La Tortilla Factory corn tortillas (don't use flour tortillas or you'll have a gummy mess)
1/2 cup of pepper-jack cheese, grated
1/4 cup of sour cream or plain greek yogurt

1.  Lay the chicken in a stockpot (or any pot you have handy) and pour the jar of salsa over the chicken.  Simmer on medium low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.

2. Crumble the queso fresco into a bowl.

3.  Remove the chicken from the pot of salsa and use forks or tongs to shred.

4.  Add the sour cream or yogurt to the salsa and whisk until blended. Taste and see if it needs a little salt. Add salt if you want.

5.  Now it's time to assemble! Ladle a little bit of sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish. Then take a tortilla and dip it into the salsa. Line it with some queso fresco, and then some chicken. Roll it, and place it seam side down into the casserole dish.

6.  Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.

7.  Ladle the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with crumbles of queso fresco and the shredded pepperjack cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.

Serve with a simple salad and feel like a rock star.

Serves 4 with a little leftover for lunch the next day










No comments:

Post a Comment